I know you know how to change because you’ve already done it. If you’ve got a few minutes, please allow me to prove it to you:
This will take you no more than 15 minutes:
List three major changes you have made in your life so far (personal and/or professional).
Choose one of those changes and respond to the following questions:
- What was the most challenging aspect of this change?
- What role did your values play in helping you make this change?
- What role did your strengths play in helping you make this change?
- How did you rely on or collaborate with others to help you make this change?
- What did you learn from making this change?
If you’re not inspired, you’re not giving yourself enough credit.
Now, the bonus question: how will you apply what you already know how to do to the next change coming your way?
(To ramp up the learning as well as the fun, ask a colleague to also do the exercise and then get together to share your findings.)
Keep going. We need you.
DAVID BERRY is the author of “A More Daring Life: Finding Voice at the Crossroads of Change” and the founder of RULE13 Learning. He speaks and writes about the complexity of leading in a changing world. Connect with him on Twitter at @berrydavid.